Since the Sydney Domain was set aside in 1788 by Governor Phillip it has constantly battled for survival under increasing pressure from development. The governor's private domain originally extended to where Circular Quay is today, however, the completion of the Cahill Expressway, government financial constraints and other construction has overtime undermined the spatial relationship between it and other remaining natural areas in the same vicinity.
The Domain was opened to the Public in the 1830's. In the 1850's it was used for military, sporting and ceremonial events and it has been a gathering place for political meetings and soap box oratories ever since.
During the summer months the large grassy expanse is transformed into a venue for outdoor concerts and performances culminating in a huge community gathering to sing carols by candlelight at Christmas.
Admission to the Domain is free as are all of the concerts and performances held there, but be sure to get there early if you want to be able to see the stage.
The nearest railway station is St James. The Sydney Explorer stops near the Domain at stop number 6.